Executive Director, Washington and the Northwest
TechNet is the national, bipartisan network of technology CEOs and senior executives that promotes the growth of the innovation economy.
TechNet’s diverse membership includes dynamic startups and the most iconic companies on the planet and represents over three million employees and countless customers in the fields of information technology, e-commerce, the sharing and gig economies, advanced energy, cybersecurity, venture capital, and finance. TechNet has offices in Washington, D.C., Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Sacramento, Chicago, Austin, Boston, Olympia, Albany, and Tallahassee.
As TechNet’s executive director for the Northwest, you will develop and manage TechNet operations in the Northwest region of the United States, coordinating with TechNet members, TechNet’s vice president of state policy and politics, and other TechNet staff. The Northwest region includes Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota
Issue Advocacy: Advance and support TechNet’s national and regional agendas by working with TechNet members to develop and implement a regional policy and political strategy. Lobby and advocate on behalf of TechNet’s agenda before state legislatures. Work closely, in a bipartisan fashion, with state legislators and their senior staff, policymakers in the executive branch of state governments and at state regulatory bodies, and TechNet members.
Government Affairs: Develop and maintain strong relationships with TechNet members, legislative and constitutional leaders and their staffs, government entities, the press, and trade associations.
Events: Plan and execute numerous events, such as one-on-one meetings, policy roundtables, political fundraisers, lobby days, and large-scale events with policymakers, technology industry leaders, and the press. This includes determining meeting format and flow, scripting, talking points, and logistics.
Policy Analysis: Assist with the development and analysis of policy positions in conjunction with TechNet staff and TechNet members. Organize and support member working groups to determine policy positions, legislative strategies, and related advocacy efforts. Develop subject matter expertise in key policy areas as determined.
Political Fundraising: Determine best path and potential avenues for supporting political candidates backed by TechNet members. This includes planning, executing, and coordinating with TechNet staff, TechNet members, and strategic partners on fundraising events and contributions.
Membership Development and Relations: Grow TechNet’s membership through retention and new member acquisition. This includes identifying prospective members; making membership presentations; developing and implementing an issue-based membership strategy; and organizing and executing an aggressive events and relationship-building schedule designed to attract new members.
- Experience in policy advocacy, preferably with experience working directly with the Northwest legislatures. Political campaign and/or legislative experience strongly desired. Trade association experience, technology industry experience, and a strong background in advocacy are all a plus. J.D. preferred, but not required.
- Strong strategic planning, analytical, and communication skills.
- Experience in and an understanding of politics, advocacy, and the legislative process, and the ability to quickly learn numerous policy issues.
- A member-services personality and an aptitude for building and maintaining relationships with company government affairs professionals and company executives.
- The ability to work independently to initiate projects and coordinate with other members of the team on general policy. We are looking for a self-starter capable of driving results across functional areas in the absence of direct in person reporting relationships. This also includes working effectively and coordinating with a small team.
- An entrepreneurial orientation and a commitment to grow the overall organization.
Interested candidates should email their resumes to David London at email@example.com.