Artificial intelligence (AI) is transformational and can revolutionize the way we live and work. AI can boost worker productivity, increase business, and product innovation. AI is being used to defend our country against cyberattacks, deliver high-quality health care solutions, assist persons with disabilities, and train workers, among other applications. AI development should be embraced because its potential for improving our lives is almost unlimited.
However, as AI innovation is developed, it must be implemented responsibly. In doing so, there are key issues that must be considered: privacy, transparency, data veracity, security, and workforce.
- Govern: AI must be created within a framework that is anchored to an organization’s core values, ethical guardrails, and regulatory constraints.
- Design: AI should be architected and deployed with trust built into the design. This means that requirements for privacy, transparency, and security have equal weight.
- Monitor: AI development must have ongoing human monitoring and auditing of the performance of algorithms against key value-driven metrics such as accountability, bias, and cybersecurity. Humans must continuously assess the need for improvements to ensure safety, fairness, and auditability; protect against malicious activity; and address flawed data sets or assumptions.
- Train: Support active upskilling through education and training and human-computer symbiosis, helping move employees from executing rote tasks to providing more in-depth analysis requiring greater judgment.
- Encourage the promotion and growth of training and workforce development for AI. This includes using techniques and practices to identify skills gaps and promote the learning needed to succeed in AI.
- Workforce development must also take steps to address potential displacement though retraining and the use of AI technologies to help current and future workforces.
- Protect: In order to preserve our national security, certain technology-focused export restrictions such as International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and arms control regulations should also apply to AI.
Pro-Innovation Research and Development (R&D) Related To AI:
- Promote and support research and development through a strategic plan developed between the public and private sectors that will encourage innovation and incentives for investment in AI.