With the rapid evolution of technologies, rising consumer demand for data, and the dawn of the “Internet of Things,” TechNet believes that telecommunications policy and regulation should promote continued private investment in broadband networks. TechNet supports:
- Policies to increase the availability of licensed, unlicensed, and shared spectrum.
- The implementation of the upcoming voluntary incentive auction for broadcast spectrum, and responsible efforts to clear more federal spectrum for commercial use.
- Proposals that eliminate barriers to broadband deployment, and frameworks that do not burden online services, applications, and devices.
- Federal policy initiatives that can expedite broadband deployment, such as “Dig Once” and access to federal lands and buildings.
- Easing state restrictions on rights of way and cell tower siting and licensing so that broadband build-out can rapidly expand to areas that need increased access.
- Policies that promote broadband adoption and digital literacy.