Federal Policy Agenda
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) are a technological platform of the future and are already providing services in many areas, including real estate, agriculture, and the entertainment industry.
- TechNet values the innovation that UAS bring to these and other industries, especially as their use and technology continues to evolve. As UAS use grows, TechNet recognizes and understands that safety and privacy concerns are important and should be addressed.
- TechNet supports solutions that address responsible use of UAS and believes that technology can best address these concerns. However, manufacturers and users are facing increasing legislation in most states that seek to restrict the use of UAS, often based on arbitrary data and restrictions.
- Any legislative and regulatory proposals should be technology and sector neutral. Targeted legislation will lead to inefficiencies and inconsistencies in how laws are applied and could slow technological solutions and growth.
- TechNet supports the deliberative processes at the FAA and NTIA that are developing consensus best practices.
Autonomous Vehicle Principles
- The development of autonomous vehicles will enable tremendous societal benefits through improved transportation, while reducing the inefficiency and error associated with human operators.
- TechNet supports implementation of a uniform legal framework that allows and promotes fully autonomous operation of roadway and aerial vehicles.
- TechNet opposes laws or regulations that require human control and intervention capabilities, place unreasonable operating restrictions, or inhibit the use of technology on autonomous vehicles.