May 19, 2016

Previous
Next

TechNet Reiterates Call for Congressional Approval of Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement in Wake of New ITC Report

Washington, D.C. — TechNet, the national, bipartisan network of innovation economy CEOs and senior executives, today reiterated its call for congressional passage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).  This comes in the wake of a new report by the U.S. International Trade Commission that examines the impact of TPP on sectors of the economy.

“This new report highlights the need for Congress to approve the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” said Linda Moore, President and CEO of TechNet.  “While we need to review the report in detail, we continue to believe that our nation’s ability to be the global technology leader is dependent on access to the fastest growing markets in the world and the uninhibited flow of data across borders.”

“The U.S. is home to 4.5 percent of the world’s population.  We need access to the other 95.5 percent.  This is particularly important because trade now is primarily digital.”

TPP was negotiated between the United States and 11 Pacific Rim trading partners.  TPP makes key improvements to international agreements around:

  • Preventing data localization
  • Prohibiting digital customs duties
  • Supporting cross-border data flows
  • Sustaining cybersecurity and encryption
  • Barring forced technology transfers

About TechNet
TechNet is the national, bipartisan network of technology CEOs and senior executives that promotes the growth of the innovation economy by advocating a targeted policy agenda at the federal and 50-state level.  TechNet’s diverse membership includes dynamic startups to the most iconic companies on the planet and represents more than two million employees in the fields of information technology, e-commerce, advanced energy, biotechnology, venture capital, and finance.  TechNet has offices in Washington, D.C., Silicon Valley, Sacramento, Seattle, Boston, and Austin.

Download PDF
Previous
Next
CONNECT WITH US
CONTACT US
805 15th Street,  NW Suite 708 Washington, DC 20005
(202) 650-5100
info@technet.org
Privacy Policy