TechNet seeks to promote and support innovation, transparency, competition, cost effectiveness, and technology neutrality in technology procurement processes. As states consider procurement reforms and legislation, TechNet will advocate for the following principles:
- Modernization of outdated IT systems, acceleration of the sound adoption of state-of-the-art technologies, and strengthening of state governments’ cybersecurity defenses.
- Policies enabling states the flexibility to select from the widest array of solutions that meet business and technical requirements, lowering the barriers to entry by promoting smart procurement processes that keep pace with innovation.
- Frameworks that encourage communication and collaboration between the public and private sectors to promote a better-informed understanding of current industry capabilities and practices, such as a process for unsolicited proposals, RFIs, better requests for proposals (RFPs), better contracts, and increased innovation.
- Strong executive-level leadership with supervisory and operational authority over enterprise-wide IT strategy, policy, and planning to drive innovation and maximize investment across state enterprises.
- Statutory flexibility to consider all relevant factors in addition to cost, such as short- and long-term impact, the quality and security of goods and services purchased, performance history, and total cost of ownership solutions.
- Efforts to better recruit and train procurement and program management professionals with the skills needed to manage IT acquisitions and oversee the implementation of the projects.
- Reforms to standard contract terms and conditions to give agencies flexibility to use contracting vehicles that can accommodate the unique set of IT terms and conditions and incorporate future innovations that are aligned with commercial best practices.
- Opposing forced data localization requirements that decrease competition and increase cost.
- Intellectual property law that allows for an environment where innovation can flourish among companies of all sizes and across all sectors.